Tucson Home Safety Tips: Using a Carbon Monoxide Detector

It’s a scary world out there, but your Tucson home is cozy and safe. Or is it? Protect your family with a carbon-monoxide detector.

Carbon-monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that can cause sudden illness and death. It is found in combustion fumes, such as those produced by cars and trucks, small gasoline engines, stoves, lanterns, burning charcoal and wood, and gas ranges and heating systems. Enclosed or semi-enclosed spaces can trap it. Carbon monoxide poisoning happens when you are in one of these spaces for a prolonged period of time while there is a gas build up.

Just last July, the Arizona Daily Star ran an article about Jason Sanders. He saved himself and his family by accidentally purchasing a carbon-monoxide detector instead of a smoke detector. When a repairman fixed his air ducts and forgot to reattach the intake on his heater, his family was in grave danger. As soon as they turned on the heat, the house filled with carbon monoxide. The detector quickly went off, saving Jason, his wife, and their newborn baby.

Make sure to place a carbon monoxide detector in your house to keep you and your family protected.